Paralysis is the inability of a muscle or group of muscles to move voluntarily. Muscles are controlled by messages sent from the brain that trigger movement. When part of the brain is damaged after a stroke, messaging between the brain and muscles may not work properly
Paralysis of the muscles of the face, arm, and leg on one side of the body is called hemiplegia (“hemi” means “half”) and usually results from damage to the opposite side of the brain. Damage to the nerves of the spinal cord affects different parts of the body, depending on the amount of damage and where it occurred. Paralysis of both lower limbs is called paraplegia, and paralysis of both arms and both legs is called quadriplegia. Paralysis may be temporary or permanent, depending on the disease or injury. Because paralysis can affect any muscle in the body, a person may lose not only the ability to move but also the ability to talk or to breathe unaided.
Email To Book Your Appointment
Symptoms, Precautions & Treatments
Symptoms in Ayurveda
अविपाक क्लमोत्क्लेशतिक्ताम्लोद्गार गौरवैः। हृत्कण्ठदाहारुचिभिश्चाम्लपित्तं वदेद्द्भिषक्॥(मा नि ५१/२ , भा . चि २०/२)
अविपाक- Indigestion of food
उत्क्लेश- Regurgitation of food
हृत्कण्ठदाह- Burning sensation in heart and throat
Post-stroke paralysis symptoms may include but are not limited to:
- Unilateral loss of voluntary power in the affected arm, leg and in the lower face
- Changes in level of consciousness.
- Loss of coordination.
- Changes in vision
- Tongue is protruded towards the paralysed side (in facial palsy)
- upper limb flexed at the elbow and wrist forearm slightly pronated
- movement of the hand and fingers are more affected than those of upper arm
- Atrophy of tendons , muscles
- Severe pain in the affected parts of body
- Dysarthria , lock jaw
- Cold extremities, edema , heaviness
What causes Paralysis
Some people are born paralyzed. Others develop paralysis due to an accident or a medical condition. Stroke is the leading cause of paralysis. It’s responsible for nearly 30 percent of cases. Spinal cord injury accounts for an estimated 23 percent of cases. Multiple sclerosis causes an estimated 17 percent of cases.
Other causes of paralysis include:
Multiple sclerosois, cerebral palsy, post polio syndrome, neurofibromatosis, Nerve injury, gullian – Bare syndrome , congenital syphilis, panic anxiety disorder, Hyperthyroidism, meningitis, Post –polio syndrome
Causes in Ayurveda
Vata gets aggravated by the following:
Intake of Ruksha(dryness), Sheeta (cold), Alpa (less quantity) and Laghu anna (light-to-digest food)
- Prajagara – Remaining awake at night in excess
- Ati plavana – Excessive swimming
- Ati langhana – Excessive fasting
- Atyadhva – walking for long distance
- Ati vyayama – Resorting to wayfaring, exercise and other physical activities in excess.
- Dhatu Samkshayaat – depletion of body tissues, loss of Dhatus.
- Chinta Shoka karshana – weakening due to excess stress, grief and worries
- Roga Ati karshana – Excessive emaciation because of affliction of diseases
- Dukha Shayyasana – Sleeping over uncomfortable beds and sitting
- Vega vidharana – suppression of natural urges
- Krodha (Anger), Diwa swapna (sleep during day time), Bhaya (fear)
- Formation of Ama (product of improper digestion and metabolism), suffering from trauma and abstention from food.
Treatments in Ayurveda
- Prakriti analysis of the patient
- BAHYA CHIKITSA : (EXTERNAL TREATMENT)
Abhyanga : means performing massage , massage of afflicted part or joint with herbal oils with mahanaryana taila , Kottamchukkadi taila , dhanwantaram taila , Ksheera bala taila etc
Svedana- (Fomentation / Sudation ) : It is type of treatment where sweating is induced , usually done after abhyanga or snehana , among which Bashpa sweda , Sarvanga bashpa sweda , Nadi sweda
Dhara /seka /Pizhichil : pouring of medicated liquids in steams with gentle stroking for a fixed duration.
Upanaha : Upanaha means poultices using dry powders
ABHYANTARA CHIKITSA (INTERNAL TREATMENT ):
Snehana : intake of medicated oils /ghee
Virechana : is given after the snehana & svedana .
Vasti : means medicated enemas , for vitiated vata given with kashaya or using oils /ghee.
Conservative line of management is followed , if patient is not fit for panchakarma , Yogaraja guggulu, malla sindura,vatari guggulu , ashwagandharishta , can be prescribed .
Ekanga roga (monoplegia) : is a paralysis of single limb or single group of muscle
एकांगरोगं तं केचिदन्ये पक्षवधं विदुः।(अ हृ नि १५/४० )
In ayurveda it is explained that ekanga vata also has same sign & symptoms as pakshaghata but involves only one limb .
sarvanga roga (Quadraplegia)
Quadraplegia is paralysis of all four limbs
सर्वांग रोगं तद्वाच्च सर्वकायाश्रिते sनिले॥।(अ हृ नि १५/४० )
सर्वांगे कुपिते वाते गात्रशुरन भण्जनं। वेदर्नाभिः परितापश्च शुतन्तिवास्यसन्धयः॥(च चि २८/२५)
In ayurveda it is explained that sarvanga vata also has same sign & symptoms as pakshaghata but involves all four limbs .
- As in ayurveda , PAKSHAGHATA / PARALYSIS is considered among one of the vataja disorders , Diet plan which is followed in vataja disorders goes the same .
- Food with Ruksha (Which reduces corpulence ), Avidahi (which are not spicy ), Alavana (not salty), Food should always be fresh and avoid excess food.A low fat milk lactovegetarian diet, which favours sweet , bitter and astringent taste .Diet rich in fruits , vegetables , moderate in protein rich in magnesium , potassium , calcium and fibre .Bananas in plenty –Good source of
- Coconut water – which has good quantities of potassium & magnesium.Ginger –cardamom tea.Eating water melon or drinking melon juice .Frequent self massage with oil
- Pranayama, Yoga
Excessive intake of alchohol/salt and pungent foods.Do not eat until the previous food is not digested.Complete eliminate from coffee , tobacco , pan .Day time sleep must be avoided .Anger , jealousy, frustration , must be avoided.
Click To Discover More Treatment Approaches
Want To Know More
Quick & Fast