Diabetes is a disease in which the body is unable to properly use and store glucose (a form of sugar). Blood glucose levels become elevated when the body either can’t make insulin, as in Type 1 diabetes, or doesn’t respond properly to insulin, as in Type 2 diabetes. Insulin is a hormone that enables the body to use glucose for energy. When insulin is not available or not working efficiently, glucose accumulates in the bloodstream.
Diabetes mellitus refers to a group of diseases that affect how your body uses blood sugar (glucose). Glucose is vital to your health because it’s an important source of energy for the cells that make up your muscles and tissues. It’s also your brain’s main source of fuel.
There is no way to predict your chances of getting diabetes, but you can familiarize yourself with its symptoms.
Email To Book Your Appointment
Symptoms, Precautions & Treatments
- Increased thirst
- Frequent urination
- Extreme hunger
- Unexplained weight loss
- Blurred vision
- Slow-healing sores
- Numbness in hands & Feet
- Presence of ketones in the urine
Frequent infections, such as gums or skin infections and vaginal infections.
Symptoms in Ayurveda
जातः प्रमेही मधुमेहिनो वा न साध्य उक्तः स हि बीजदोषात्| ये चापि केचित् कुलजा विकारा भवन्ति तांश्च प्रवदन्त्यसाध्यान्||
- Atimutrata –(excessive urination)
- Avila mutrata (Turbid urine)
- Madhu tulya (Urine similar to honey)
- Panduta (pallor of the body)
- Rukshata (Dryness of body)
- Dourbalya (Debility)
- Ratisu anasakti(Loss of sexual urge)
- Dhatu kshaya(Emaciation)
Causes of Diabetes
The exact cause of diabetes is unknown. What is known is that your immune system which normally fights harmful bacteria or viruses attacks and destroys your insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. This leaves you with little or no insulin. Instead of being transported into your cells, sugar builds up in your bloodstream. This is thought to be caused by a combination of genetic factors and environmental factors, though exactly what many of those factors are is still unclear. But some the causes are listed below:
- Bad diet
- Lack of insulin
- Nutritional deficiency
- Consumption of fatty & sugary food
Causes in Ayurveda
- Asyasukham : Comfortable seating (luxury, sedentary lifestyle, lack of physical activites & exercise)
- Svapnasukham : Comforts of sleeping , excess sleeping
- Kapha krut cha sarvam – All foods & lifestyle activites which increases kapha sahaja (Inherited factor)
- Chinta (stress)
- Shoka (grief)
- Bhaya (fear)
- Deergha roga: (Long standing illness)
- Alasya (sedentary life)
- Prakriti analysis of the patient
- In ayurveda ,madhumeha is explained in charaka vimana 7 th chapter ,
Nidana Parivarjana : Nidana parivarjana means the cause of disease should be avoided , For example , Curd/ Dadhi is ushna veerya(hot in potency) , guru aahara(heavy to digest) & does dusti of dhatus , if taken untimely & in-appropriate form increase the disease madhumeha but gunas opposite to it , laghu(light) , ruksha aahara(dry foods) like karavellaka , it will leads to suppression of symptoms
Apakarshana : In case of apatarpana 2 types of treatment modalities carried out , like shodana(purificatory procedures) & shamana(conservative line of treatment) .
When patient is well built & disease is acute phase can be able to tolerate , then panchakarma therapies are indicated . panchakarma procedures can be carried out not only for cure of disease but to prevent complication
Shamana – Reduced rogi(patient) and roga(Disease) bala (strength)leads to depletion of tissues so Rasayana therapies are indicated –For example , Chandraprabha vati etc can be prescribed .
He had also explained treatment according to stages of madhumeha , and considering the strength of disease & strength of patient .
When it comes to Diabetes, Everyone knows everything about diabetes — particularly those who don’t have it. Uninformed family members, friends, and even strangers think dey know all about diabetes and r quick to judge u, give u advice. Don’t worry we will share detail knowledge about you should avoid and include in your diet.
- Avoiding the foods & other causes which leads to increase in symptoms must be avoided .
- In case of sthula madhumeha (patient who is obese), Use of jangala mamsa rasa of vishkira (group of animals reffering to birds who eat while scaterring the grains/gallinaceous birds).
- Pratuda(packer birds).
- Shyamaka (Indian banyard millet)
- Uddalaka(variety of rice), godhuma(wheat), chanaka(chickpea/bengal gram), adhika tikta rasa pradhana shakas grown in janagala pradesha (vegetables with bitter taste & which are grown in forest)
- Madhu (honey)
- Kulattha(horse gram)
- Purana dhanya sevana(Pulses that have been retained from longer period of time )
- Purana shaali (Old harvested Rice)
- Vyayama (exercise) & Rtari jagarana (Awakening at night are beneficial),
- Tastes which are bitter, Light food are beneficial which helps in decreasing kapha, helps in reducing urine. karavellaka (bitter Gourd), Bhumyamalaki(phyllanthus niruri)
- Avoid curd & preparations of cure
- Gramya –audaka anupa mamsa – Flesh of meat soup of animals in water and marshy regions
- Payamsi – excessive consumption of milk , its derivatives and preparations
- Navana panam – foods , drinks , & dishes prepared from new grains etc
- Guda vaikrithi – jiggery & its derivatives
- Ikshurasa – sugarcane juice
- Madhura ahara (sweet substances)
- Pishta Ahara (carbohydrate rich food)
- Adhyashana (Repeated intake of food)
- Adhikashana (excessive intake of food)
- Ahitashana (unwholesome Diet)
- Guru ahara (Heavy food)
- Samshana (Improper diet)
Click To Discover More Treatment Approaches
Want To Know More
Quick & Fast